Sunday, January 16, 2011

Precepting Day 1: Fundal Height

Thursday was my first day of official precepting. It was a great day. I love going to prenatals with my midwife. We spend the entire day talking about midwifery, birth and life. I though my day was long (ten hours) until my friend told me that she was gone for 25 hours! She left her house at 4:30am to drive to Tallahassee and didn't get home until 5:05 the next morning! She did, however, get to attend two births which is amazing!

During my first day I got to do a fundal height measurement. I was off by a couple of centimeters but I think it's because I didn't have the zero directly over the pubic bone. A lesson for next time.

According to Mayoclinic.com,
"Fundal height is the distance from the top of the uterus to the pubic bone measured in centimeters. Starting in the second trimester, fundal height usually matches closely to the number of weeks you've been pregnant. For example, if you're 27 weeks pregnant, your health care provider would expect your fundal height to be about 27 centimeters. However, the measurement has a wide range of normal findings."

No comments:

Post a Comment