Monday, January 10, 2011

Teresea

 A week ago today, Teresea Kirkman, died in the ICU at Tampa General Hospital. She had been battling Crohns disease and was recently diagnosed with cirrhosis of the liver. She was only 47 years old.


I've known Teresea all my life. She and her husband, Jimmy, have been friends with my parents before I could remember. Jimmy and Teresea were those people that define love. The type of people that you see together and you know that there is such a thing as a "soul mate." It even sounds weird to say either of their names separately.

Teresea was buried Saturday, on their 28th wedding anniversary. Out of that love grew their daughter, Katrina. The memorial service was more beautiful than any one could have imagined. There were photos of her life on display in which her happiness radiated.

I cannot imagine the pain of losing a spouse or my mother. My longest relationship was a little over three years long. Hardly a drop in the bucket of the time Jimmy and Teresea spent together. I can only hope to have the type of love and companionship that they shared.

On death, Elisabeth Kubbler Ross wrote:
“Death is simply a shedding of the physical body like the butterfly shedding its cocoon.  It is a transition to a higher state of consciousness where you continue to perceive, to understand, to laugh, and to be able to grow.”

It is my belief and hope that Theresa is in that place, laughing and growing- beautifully waiting for us to join her.

No comments:

Post a Comment