Friday, August 6, 2010

$4.00 a page


I bought my books today! The five books that it will take me to complete the first semester of midwifery school cost a whopping $218.14. That is easily the amount I would have spent on a single class book list from USF. My books for Anatomy I at USF cost $279.10 and that was for the book and the student guide that went with the book!
Seriously, there is a problem when it cost more to buy the books for a course than it does to pay for the course! Some people would argue that it's a racket when the professor writes the books and then makes the student purchase the books they authored. I can say sometimes I can see the controvery in that, however, two of the best classes I had ever taken were taught by the author of our textbook. Dr. Durand taught abnormal psychology using the book he authored and I honestly think that was the best book for the course. The problem is not professors authoring textbooks on the reading list, the problem is the exorbitant cost of textbooks, the constant publication of new editions, and the assigning of multiple books for a single class. There is also a problem with buy back when the semester is over. I paid over $100.00 for this book and I'm getting $30.00 back so you can re-sell it used for $75.00- FANTASTIC, sign me up!
The latest textbook hubbub is electronic books. For electronic copies of textbooks you pay about half the price of the physical book for the digital copy but when the semester is over your access code to the digital copy is expired and you make no money for a "sell back."
The US government published a report on the cost of textbooks and how to assist in making them affordable to students. Their conculsion for long term change: "a supply-driven, producer-centric market must be transformed into a demand-driven, college- and student-centric market." Hopefully, by the time future generations make to college, it won't cost a semesters worth of tuition to buy a classes worth of textbooks.

2 comments:

  1. OMFG! I know exactly what you'e talking about! I will never understand why textbooks need to cost so much. Do we not spend enough money on tuition already? I remember @ USF we'd spend $500 each semester for books. That's $4,000 in 4 years! And that's only if you take fall and spring classes. That doesn't even include summer semesters or grad school! That is just ridiculous.

    I was really glad to use the same med-surg textbook for 3 out of 4 semesters of nursing school. I had to buy 3 separate books for one semester which was for peds, OB, and psych. Ugh....I hate textbooks. I'm never getting rid of mine! They will be buried with me when I die since they cost me so much freaking money!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll be sure to put those books in your casket!

    ReplyDelete