Friday, August 27, 2010

Speedy Gonzales


I got a phone call this morning at 3am from a second time mom. She has a history of going fast. She told me she got to the hospital and her first daughter was born within the hour.

So, rather than going through my fluffy doula schpeel (walk, eat, drink, pee), I told her I was getting dressed and would meet her at the hospital. I called my doula friend who is working on her CAPPA certification to meet me at the hospital to get credit for the birth. She was two contractions away from missing the birth, I'm glad she made it. The mom was six centimeters at 4am and delivered at 5:25am. The baby literally popped out in one push. So amazing!

I told myself that I was going to retire from hospital births. If there is one thing hospitals are good for, it's ruining normal birth. If only doctors and medwives knew how much easier their jobs would be if they'd just let low risk mothers deliver their babies in their own time. They would almost get paid to do nothing!

And to think they wanted to induce this mom on Tuesday, as if!

No comments:

Post a Comment