Friday, September 3, 2010

First Days of School


I just got back from three days in Gainesville for orientation and the first two days of class. I have never been more excited in my life! It is amazing to be in such a positive environment surrounded with women (and one man) who are so passionate about the midwifery profession. I am literally excited to be doing homework!
The first book we've had to read was Witches, Miwives & Nurses. The history of women healers has a violent story. Mothers, daughters, sisters and wives were literally burned at the stake for practicing "a more human, empiral approach to healing." The book continues to talk about the "white, male, middle-class occupation" that became American medicine starting in the 1800's.
I feel honored to be able to join a profession with such a long, often brutal history. Women literally died in order to take care of other women and keep the profession alive. I vow to honor their struggle and carry midwifery on into the twenty-first century!

No comments:

Post a Comment