Friday, September 24, 2010

More school than midwifery

Now that I'm in midwifery school people want to know all about it. What's it like? How many babies have you 'delivered'? What do you do for X, Y and Z? My niece, daughter, neighbors third cousin wants to be a midwife, can I give them your phone number?

Well, let me just let you all in on a little secret. The first semester of midwifery school is more school than midwifery. We are not doing our clinicals yet. It's a lot of learning about psychology, history, anatomy, how to write a research paper and how to take a blood pressure. My anatomy teacher told us during the first week of school that our first year is a "shake down cruise" to drop off all the misfit midwifery students before moving on the to "placentas and cervices," or as I like to call it- the GOOD stuff!

Lucky for me I'm already in contact with my preceptor. I've gotten the opportunity to go to her prenatal visits and two of her births. One a water birth and one a VBAC. Starting Thursday I'm going to be working in her office as an office assistant. I'm really excited to start learning the business side of a home birth midwifery practice.

Every week at school gets me closer to January when we can start officially precepting and counting our births! I can't wait to start blogging all about it!

No comments:

Post a Comment