Monday, August 9, 2010

Dream Home


I've been taking the long way home from work to scope out places that look suitable for a birth center. I start school in three weeks and I've been thinking a lot about what type of midwife I want to be, a home birth midwife or a midwife with a stable birth center.
Working with the women through The Pregnancy Center and from anecdotal conversations with other midwives, I think the South Saint Pete population would benefit from a birth center. Even though birth center birth is still "out of hospital" I think a lot of women feel more comfortable with a "place to go" for their visits and to have their baby. Sort of a half way point between home and the hospital.
Considering my targeted population, I should establish a center south of Central Avenue. However, I found the most beautiful house the other day on a different route home. It's in downtown Saint Pete, on the cusp of Old North East. A beautiful home situated in the middle of the city. The website that has it listed says that it can easily be used as a home or an office building. I wish for anything to start a birth center in this home but I know that is impossible. I don't have the money nor have I even started school yet!
Dreaming of this home keeps me motivated to succeed in school and eventually open a birth center. I know the road won't be easy but I'm preparing for the adventure...

2 comments:

  1. There's nothing wrong with dreaming! You're building on your ideas for when you graduate. You can always work towards having your very own birth center in the future. You're still young and have plenty of time to make your dreams come true.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You will do great! I am excited for you

    ReplyDelete