Sunday, October 3, 2010

Ten Centimers Too Late


So I'm sitting at work and I've been seeing people come in all day to see my work friend and her baby who are upstairs. I hadn't seen my friend come down yet so I wasn't sure I was going to see her before she returned from her maternity leave. Well, today she graced me with her presence and let me just tell you, this woman looks fab for just having had her baby on Friday. I give her my warm congrats and she tells me her birth story:

Friday: Contractions 10 minutes apart for five hours at home. Calls the CNM and is informed to stay home until they are 5 minutes apart. Well, that time never seems to come so my friend and her husband decide it's time to come in to the hospital.

While at the hospital, the receptionist makes her wait in a room full of people while she gets signed in. While in triage, the nurse checks her to make sure she's in "active labor" and this isn't just "false labor." Well guess what? Momma's 8 cm and her water just broke! Cue the "Stork Team." My friend tells me she's never seen more people in a delivery room in her life!

The entire time she was pregnant she always told me she planned on getting an epidural, she had one the first time and she swears by them. Well, momma was ten centimeters too late this time and pushed her baby out unmedicated into the waiting arms of whoever the hospital OB was because her midwife hadn't even been called!

My friend was absolutely glowing! It's so amazing how drastically plans can change. Sometimes for the worst but, more importantly, sometimes for the better. I love to hear birth stories when the moms were too far gone to get an epidural and had unplanned unmedicated births. They come out with a new perspective! It's beautiful.

2 comments:

  1. Oh that sounds wonderful. How did the mom feel not having any meds? Was she in a lot of pain? Did the baby come quickly?

    ReplyDelete
  2. She hit transition (7-10cm) really fast. On the way to the hospital actually. She said that she was only at the hospital for about an hour before the baby was born.
    She didn't say if it was painful. I'm sure it was intense. It wasn't expected so I'm sure you can be a little scared at first until you own it!

    ReplyDelete