Sunday, July 10, 2011

The thing I lost in the fire.

I'm in the last few weeks of my first year of midwifery school. Only two years more before I graduate and become eligible to become a Florida licensed midwife! Time has flown by.

A lot has changed since I started midwifery school in August. One of the biggest changes came when Mike and I broke up during my first semester. I've been wanting to write about this for a while but how do you sum up two years in one blog post?



There is no blame for how our relationship ended. When I got the calling to become a midwife it was as if a fire consumed me. I was being pulled toward midwifery on an almost cellular level. It takes a lot of compromise and patience to date someone who is in midwifery school (or who is a midwife!). Not only was I spending two days a week in Gainesville, I could get called to a birth at anytime and not know when I'd be home. How would you feel if you had to share your partner with laboring families for hours, or even days, at a time? It's asking a lot.


I don't know if I was just extremely busy with school and clinic this past semester but I've been thinking about us more now than when we first broke up. I miss us. When I look back at the good times it brings a smile to my face because we had a lot of fun together. I miss our dog family, going to his moms to hang out and just spending time together. I don't regret going to midwifery school at all. I know that I'm in the right place. I just wish that we could have figured something out. I suppose everything is exactly how it should be.


I've been carrying around this ache for a couple of weeks. I am grateful for everything that has happened and I can't wait for all the changes that will happen next. When some people break up they see their relationship as a waste of time. I look back at our relationship and see it for all the ways it changed me in a positive way. Moving to Saint Pete, meeting my midwife preceptor, becoming a doula and applying to midwifery school all happened because of my relationship with Mike.

I haven't seen him since February but I wish him love and happiness in whatever he does. He truly helped change my life.

"Love hurts sometimes when you do it right." - John Legend

2 comments:

  1. Aww....I'm sorry babe. This was a very beautiful and personal post. Sometimes things aren't meant to be. I do believe that everyone we encounter in our lives teaches us something about life and also about ourselves. Every experience takes you to a new level in your journey through life. Olive juice. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry you're feeling sad :( I didn't realize just how much this was in your space lately. Try to take comfort in your knowing that this experience has brought you so much. The fact that you can even recognize that is a gift onto itself... Love you <3

    ReplyDelete