Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Your placenta IS an organ





SO, I was at this (typical) hospital birth ALL day yesterday. After the birth the mom wanted nothing more than to be "unplugged" from all of the machines that were tying her to the bed. Joking with the mom I said, "you're already down one organ what more do you want?" The nurse, rudely snapped, "the placenta is not an organ it's the inside of an organ."

Ok, I'm not one to argue or bet but this woman is out of her mind. The placenta IS an endocrine organ. The first sentence of Wikipedia (which the entire world can access) begins, "The placenta is an organ..." The placenta is the only temporary organ. It's the baby's little apartment. It keeps the baby warm, safe and fed along with other magical things.

I really shouldn't be in shock. This woman was the nurse at my first birth that ended in a cesarean last January. She was rude to me then and was no better this time around, she wouldn't even sign my silent birth observe form!

Sometimes I wonder how and why some people became nurses! I don't even mean that in a bad way because I love nurses. My best friend is a nurse. My favorite teacher is a nurse. I respect and admire nurses. I wouldn't even mind being a nurse. They are typically full of amazing information, however, last night the nurse was way off base because: The placenta IS an ORGAN! (I promise)

I just don't understand how someone could complete something as difficult as nursing school, work in labor and delivery (for at least a year) and not know that the placenta is an organ. People with the "I don't know I just work here"- attitude really shouldn't be nurses and the nurse last night was one of those people!

2 comments:

  1. Good job handling this situation Jessica, did you inform the mama that she was right? I love your blog, very nice. Katrina

    ReplyDelete